January 23, 2013

Thinking ahead

The materials are assembled.


There are not as many shirts as I remembered. I guess I did manage to send some away in the charity bags.  These made the cut due to my husband's stubble.  I actively encourage stubble, but it does wear away at the collars of his shirts.



Unlike last time, I am attempting to do a bit of actual planning with this quilt.  As fun and illuminating as the improvisation last time was, I feel I want to expand my horizons a bit.  To that end, I was a bit stumped as to the backing for this quilt.  I think I will just have enough shirt material to make the front, whatever pattern I settle on, but there won't be anything left for the back.

For awhile I thought I might have to sacrifice some of our more ratty bed sheets (as my gig on this blog is to re-use materials and make it up as I go).  Have no fear, our bed sheets are safe.

This week, we brought the 'contraband' box down from the loft.  This is a box filled with kid stuff Pete and I have collected over the last five years and put away until it was needed.  Most of it is books and games but there is also a bolt of fabric from 2007 when IKEA started its circus range.

How perfect is that?

The right colours and just enough whimsy to be fun but not sickening.  It's also just the right width for a small cot quilt.  (A measurement I had to check with Emily about as she is the baby quilt maven right now).  I was sure I had another shirt of Pete's that was a similar colour blue which would have been lovely.  Two striped patterns and two solids, but it seems to have disappeared.

And so we're off.

Still not sure on binding but I am going to trust that the solution will come to mind, or hand, when needed.

Time to wash, iron and cut some pieces.  I am still unsure about the pattern, but I'm leading toward some triangles to reflect the triangle banner on the backing fabric.

No comments:

Post a Comment