January 7, 2013

Sewing Room Update

Hey there everyone!  Did you sew anything fun this weekend?  I wish I had a finished quilt to show off, but I focused on garment sewing this weekend, and a couple other small projects.  Even so, because I walked you through sewing room plans (and then my actual sewing room once we moved), I thought I'd update you on my progress!

I finally made a new cover for my ironing board!  I've had the fabric since before Christmas and the ironing board I had was just ugly.  I bought a cheap, large board from Wal-Mart, but the cover felt like it was covered in plastic (blech) and there was absolutely no padding in it.  Not ideal, but like I said--cheap!

There are a million tutorials out there on how to cover an ironing board.  I did some research and then mashed them all together, which was easier than following just one.  I will tell you, I used two yards of fabric, three yards of 1/2" knit elastic, and lots of pins!  I also bought an ironing board pad at Joann's while their 50% off sale was happening this weekend.  It makes the board much cushier so I don't feel like I'm hitting metal while I press.  I also measured and cut at 4" around the board, so I'd have plenty of room for seam allowances.  It was a beast to finally fit when it was done: it's like a fitted sheet from hell, so Nick had to hold one end while I fit the other, and vice versa.  Definitely not a one-woman job, at least for me.

Cut and ready



Making the casing.  I folded 3/4" twice, because I was using 1/2" elastic.

Hopefully that line goes away!!  It's from the padding being folded in its package.
The fabric is from Patty Sloniger's Les Amis line.

I'm also sewing a quilt with Lizzy House's Constellations line.  I can't go into too much detail, but here's the beginning of it:



I designed the quilt with graph paper and a pencil before Christmas--I mean, I didn't invent the HST, but I wanted it to be more than random so I went with a layout and followed it.  I sewed six rows together today, and will sew the rest probably next weekend.  I was looking for something more stimulating than sewing rows of HSTs together.  I'd love some opinions on how to quilt this; I wish I could FMQ so I could do stars or something fun!

I'm also going to start on Swoon soon, I think.  My mom has a big birthday coming up this spring and I'd like to make a Swoon for her present.  My new LQS (Quilted Thimble Cottage in Belmont, NC) has a ton of Bonnie and Camille fabrics, and they also offer longarm services.  Swoon finishes at 80" x 80", which is way bigger than even my new machine can handle.  Plus, for a special gift, I think it's worth it to splurge on the longarm quilting.  

I'm gung-ho but apprehensive at the same time about Swoon.  I've heard it takes two hours to finish one block!  There are nine blocks altogether, meaning a total of 18 hours, plus cutting time, await me.  That may not sound like much, but I don't normally spend more than 12 hours completing a quilt, so that's really a lot.  Have you attempted/completed Swoon yet?  Any tips?  I know it's worth it, and my mom will love it, but it's a large undertaking and I'm always a little worried (and excited!) at the beginning of projects.

What'd you sew this weekend?


No comments:

Post a Comment