January 21, 2013

An Almost-Finished Baby Quilt!

Finally--a productive weekend in the Sposetta-Regnier household!  I tell you, these lazy Sundays bore me to death.

Last weekend I wrote about plans for a baby quilt for a co-worker.  I was torn about the cross design.  Finally, I decided to just do it.  If I sat around and thought about it anymore I was going to drive myself crazy!  However, this quilt didn't move nearly as fast as my other quilts have recently.  It was also a ton of piecing: each block is made of eleven pieces, and there are 39 blocks in the baby quilt.  It's much more involved than my HSTs and basic patchwork!

As a reminder, the pattern is Cluck Cluck Sew's Inside Out.  I bought this pattern when I first decided to learn how to quilt and have been dying to make it ever since.  I love cross quilts!  The solids are all from Hawthorne Threads and are a mix of Cotton Couture, Bella Solids, FreeSpirit Designer solids, and one Laura Gunn Painter's Canvas.  I've found lately that I love working with solids and really enjoy adding the leftovers to my stash.

I started cutting Monday night and stopped working on it Sunday morning.  All I have left to do is quilt and bind! We'll talk about that after the pictures.


I chain-pieced many of the block parts.  This was my first time chain-piecing and, while I learned a new skill, it made piecing the blocks later so boring and tedious.





Laying this out was a labor of love.  I didn't make equal numbers of all the colors, and had a very specific vision in mind: I didn't want the same color touching in any of the rows, and I wanted the values to be equally spread out.  So at 11 PM Saturday night, after Nick was asleep and my internet had decided to stop working (rendering Hulu useless), I finally got it right!

I was up early on Sunday to photograph it:



Puddin' helped me baste (and thoroughly pissed me off in the process):






So now the quilt is rolled up in a tube, waiting to be quilted!

Which brings me to the question, how should I quilt it?  I don't have a free-motion quilting foot yet, which puts a damper on that plan.  I also can't do straight lines, because, with this sort-of wonky layout, it will look like I'm drunk or dumb, take your pick.  My mom suggested I quilt inside and outside the crosses, which I like.  I also saw wavy lines done with a walking foot (amazing and mind-blowing, at least to me) on Camille Roskelley's blog and am leaning toward that.  Do you have any suggestions?

What did you quilt this weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment