January 30, 2013

Scrappy Runner

It is done.

I admit I didn't touch this after the New Year's Day measuring lesson.  In the passing time my sewing/office stuff shifted out of the small spare room to make room for Pruin.  The writing and sewing materials and tools are now distributed around the house in a somewhat slap dash manner.  It is a relief actually.  When we agreed the purchase of this house I had a lot of fantasies about that little room and all the work I would get done.  By the time we actually got in the house I was pregnant and that room was bookmarked for Pruin.  The interim office never really felt comfortable or right.  Plus the view is not very inspiring.  The view from the dining room table is much better.  In the past two weeks I've witnessed the courting and battling and pairing-off of foxes.  Much better than a school building roof.

That's not the story of today.  Today, I show you the runner made completely from scraps or found material.  Everything, from thread to wadding to binding is re-used.  I ran out of thread three times so the quilting resembles the carpet in my house (a different shade/texture of off-white in every room) but I don't think it is too noticeable.

the last 2 inches and no thread to spare

 There were also some mysterious machine issues which ate up valuable thread.  I left it.  It's character, right?



 
The quilting itself was quite a lesson.  This was my first attempt at machine quilting and it was a bit cramped and awkward.  My sewing machine doesn't allow for a huge range of motion on the sewing deck (is that the right term? I don't know.) so there was a lot of tugging and rolling and folding and manipulating of fabric to get everything in the right position.  The needle threatened to snap numerous times as I shifted the fabric sandwich here and there, but it worked.  Sort of.




I have a sneaking suspicion that there are different kinds of feet and needles I could use to make this all a bit easier or at least run a bit smoother.  I might have to investigate.

However, I think it a decent achievement to create two quilted items with nothing more than the kit that came with the sewing machine.  No need for fancy schmancy (expensive) tools.  Just get stuck in.



Another reason for the delay of finishing this project, beyond my increasing girth getting in the way, was the question of binding.  It's the enduring question always, I find.  How to finish?

While digging through my scrap/discarded clothing/scarves, etc. stash for Pruin's quilt, I found a bit of fabric procured in a clothes swap.  The previous owner used it as a scarf.  I grabbed it that night because of its pattern with no idea if it would actually ever see the light of day.  Today was that day.




I do not recommend binding in this way. In fact, I have no advice on binding. 

The smaller print of the scarf was just wide enough to supply two lengths for binding.  To highlight the stamp or not?  I went back and forth with this for a bit.  Did I want to highlight the remnant aspect of this project or attempt to make it look more purposeful.  I went for purposeful.

And there we have it.  Done.




No comments:

Post a Comment