July 16, 2013

Completed Mug Rugs

A few weeks ago, when I was contemplating the choices I've made in my life that led me to mug rugs, I started pulling fabric.  I didn't know what I wanted to do with these gifts--I had no plans, no ideas.  I was hoping the mountains of scraps and fat quarters would inspire me and I could make the mug rug to end all mug rugs (hopefully).

Instead, lots of other things happened.  Instead, I walked away with a messy sewing room and no ideas.  Instead, I followed a whole lot of new Pinterest boards devoted to mug rugs.  Instead...I decided I like mug rugs.  I like them.  I want them in my house, in my cubicle, waiting for me in the drawer with all the kitchen towels.  This is completely ridiculous, I know, but I can't help it.  They're just so darn satisfying to make: in fifteen minutes, you have a quilt that holds your bagel and tea.  I know.

Finally, I got some ideas.  I found this Blue Elephant Stitches granny square tutorial and made a block without a border.  The center block is Happy-Go-Lucky that I used originally as a dog bed; the solids are from my Cotton Couture charm pack I received last fall at the Quilters Take Manhattan event.  You may also recognize the binding and backing from my Rainbow quilt.  I love using scraps!

I quilted it 1/4" on either side of each seam, making a fun design on the back!



BUT!  My sewing buddy and I were exchanging two mug rugs, not one.  For the other one, I decided to go more improv.  I love the look of log cabin blocks but I've never tried one, and I don't even know why.  Too many scraps, maybe?  But a mug rug was the perfect chance to try something new.  

I started with the middle piece, a fussy-cut Heather Ross design from Nursery Versery.  My friend is a mom and also an avid sewist, so she'd appreciate both the scene and the fabric.  I then added pieces in a circle, moving outward.  I used some Flea Market Fancy and Chicopee (Denyse Schmidt), Locally Grown (Creative Thursday), Bella (Lotta Jansdotter), random Cosmo Cricket scissors I bought in a destash on Etsy, Quilt Blocks (Ellen Luckett-Baker), Les Amis (Patty Sloniger), Field Study (Anna Maria Horner), and Timber & Leaf (Sarah Watts). For the other side, because I didn't see this block as a large piece like the granny square, I used a scrap of FreeSpirit Solids in Manatee--the same charcoal used in the Chicopee print.



I backed the mug rug in Lizzy House's brown Pearl Bracelets (from Guising) and bound it in another Chicopee print.  Chicopee will always remind me of when I first started quilting last year and won it from a FreeSpirit giveaway on Facebook.  Fate, I tell you.  I quilted in diagonal lines 1" apart, except around the mice.  I wanted them to remain untouched.


I got word from Elizabeth tonight that she received the mug rugs (and the fun teas I sent with them) and loves them!  I'm so happy.  I really put myself into these and love how they turned out, so I'm glad she loves them too!

Soon I'll have more updates on my Summer 2013 Finished Projects--I need a catchier title.  Until then, mug rugs for everyone!

1 comment:

  1. They are adorable Emily! I'm drooling over all granny squares right now. Once a few more of my WIPs are done, I might have to make this! Thanks for the inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete