April 25, 2013

Loopy HSTs

Pregnancy is making me loopy!

It turns everything inside out and backwards.

Yesterday I cut out and sewed together 80-some HSTs (half square triangles) and they are now hanging on my wall as I contemplate their layout.

That isn't backwards in, and of, itself.  What's backwards is that it is all shop-bought, new fabric.


 
*SHOCK & HORROR*


I have gone off the reservation (and my blogging brief) and started creating a quilt with all new fabric.  I was like a machine.  No deliberation about meaning or practical use (although I do have a specific use in mind for this one) just assembly line triangle creation.

This wasn't even the project I planned to start next.  It's a complete anomaly.

I did make a token gesture of going through my stash of old clothes and textiles in a half-hearted attempt to stick to my brief.  I knew it was futile.  These prints were calling to me and there was nothing for it.



I blame my unemployment, really.  If I was on actual maternity leave I would inevitably have a list of projects and books and chores and TV shows I had been waiting to catch-up with in the weeks leading up to 'the arrival.'  As it is, all such 'catch-up' activities have been done for weeks, months, maybe even years, as I have been unemployed for 2+ years now.  I have very little to fill my days as I wait for Pruin to make an entrance.

In these last few weeks, when every twinge or tightening sends me into 'this is it' mode, I need distractions.  I have already re-read every book in the house and re-watched every TV series and movie in our collection.

Why not start a quilt?  I don't have the stuff I need for the backing or the wadding or the binding.  All three of which will probably end up also being store-bought and new.  And at the rate I'm going with this thing I will probably have the top done in a day or two, as long as my machine holds out.  It's been a bit sputtery as of late.

What's the next step?  Do I start ordering the supplies for the rest or do I leave it until the top is finished   If the top is finished and I still have a week to go before Pruin arrives what will fill my days?  How do I redeem this anomaly in terms of my 're-use it' brief?


Loopy still, but loopy and distracted.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment