April 1, 2013

Exploring Free-Motion Quilting

I feel like I'm stuck in a quilting rut.

Sure, I can piece just about whatever I want.  I've sewn curves, triangles; I've followed patterns and made my own.  I'm far from making perfect quilts and I'm nowhere near most of my fellow bloggers, but I'm at the point where I've dabbled enough to say I've tried and I have completed projects under my belt.

However, something I haven't tried is free-motion quilting.

The idea of quilting something by myself--controlled only by my own hands and not a stitch setting--is terrifying.  I'm not very liberated by complete control; while I love control, I don't like the idea of failing under my own control.  It's terrible, but the thought that I might mess up something I've pieced so carefully is what's holding me back!  I have the foot, I have the quilt tops, I'm just scared to death of having to unpick stitches.

Until I nut up and decide to just go for it, I'll be searching for inspiration.  There's no shortage!

Source
Ashley at Film in the Fridge is an endless source of awe.  This herringbone quilt is free-motion but doesn't have the typical squiggly look.  It's much more modern in its fresh take on straight-line or serpentine stitch.

Source

These raindrops are so creative and artistic.  It would take years for me to get to this point without copying someone else!

Source
Jeni Baker of In Color Order quilted these feathers on her grocery bag holder.  These were her "practice": they look pretty darn perfect to me!  Feathers and pebbles (above) would add a great touch to quilts with lots of edges and points!

Do you free-motion quilt?  I'd love to see your work!

No comments:

Post a Comment