April 22, 2013

Everyone's Else's Awesome Projects!

I've been in a quilting funk lately.  Despite my do.Good blocks, I've really been focusing more on garment sewing lately, and I hate to say it--but I love it!  I really haven't felt the pull toward patchwork, perhaps because the beginning of the year (and last year, really) was so chock-full of quarter-inch seams and half-square triangles.

However, it hasn't been completely off my mind!  I signed up for a Sewing Buddy through Deborah's blog at the beginning of the year.  The purpose of the Sewing Buddy is to have someone to challenge you, motivate you, and commiserate with you...who also cares about sewing and doesn't have to listen (such as a spouse or parent).  I was paired with Elizabeth, who has been a great sewing buddy!  We've been exchanging emails for a couple months and have done one swap, but I see more in our future!  She's a really great gal, and, as you'll see, a talented sewist!

For our first swap, we sent each other pouches (inadvertently both using the Noodlehead Open Wide Pouch tutorial) and fun little things inside!



I needed a new pincushion, and this is a great example of patchwork outside of quilting.  It could be a mini-block if you just look at the top, but added rick-rack, a bottom piece and stuffing makes it very practical!

I also looked at this picture and realized my cat had stolen one of the giant "beehive" pins you see here, so I had to look for that before I could blog more!




The pouch itself has some awesome patchwork details, including the use of hexagons!  I've never made hexies but I think they're adorable, and the "beehive" pattern Elizabeth incorporated is so modern!  I recognized a lot of the fabrics she used, but I don't own any, so it was great to see them in a new way: instead of fat quarters, focusing on an inch or so at a time!

April, as I mentioned, was my do.Good Stitches design month, and the blocks are starting to roll in!  These two are from Jenny at DowntoSew--they're the first to arrive!  I asked everyone to use a white background regardless, but black and white for one block and gender-neutral colors for the other block.  Here's what she sent:



I hadn't originally thought of using white coordinates as the background, but I think it's really neat to see!  I still need to make my blocks.  I should get on that!

What do you do to regain your quilting mojo?  I think this breather is much-needed, but I miss having projects to show you!  In the meantime, I'll make another shirt!


As a reminder, Ariel will be on maternity leave soon!  Yay!!  If you're interested in writing a guest post for us, contact us at the links in the sidebar, or on Twitter at @squaringup.  We'd love to have you!

1 comment:

  1. Glad my blocks arrived safely! having a sewing buddy sounds fun. i had a quilt ive been working on ALL winter laid out on the floor and made the hubs come look at it because i was excited to see it finally all laid out. i got a "did you make that? its nice... hey, what should we have for supper?" lol. thanks for all the lovely encouragement dear!

    ReplyDelete