June 20, 2013

Developmental Stages

I finished those last four lines of hand-quilting.  I even managed to cut the vinyl for the back.

I haven't found a way to attach the vinyl just yet.  Fabric glue didn't work.

I have found some fabric for the binding.  A pair of pleated khakis I found at my local charity shop.

Last week Pruin and I had a nice schedule going and I was optimistic we might find some time to get the front and back together.  This week he is going through a 'developmental stage' and all schedules have gone out the window.

I have, however, got two commissions for baby quilts made out of scraps and old clothes.  How I will get these out before Christmas, I'm not sure.  Actually, I've told them not to expect them before Christmas.


I did find time to make a slipcover for a pillow.  By hand.  Pruin had two unexpected morning naps and I managed to whip something up in-between checks of the baby monitor.




I find I don't have much time for anything beyond the needs of my 5 week old squirmer.  I don't miss most of those 'anythings.'  However, I do miss my quilting.  I never saw myself as a crafter, but there is something about figuring out fabric and pattern that makes me feel a bit more human.  This very traditional past time makes me feel less trapped in the cycle of babycare.  Much like finding time to iron and clean and make dinner make me feel a bit more competent.  With all the uncertainty of Pruin, accomplishing these small tasks keeps despair at bay.  These are problems I know how to solve and there is a sense of achievement when done; a clean counter, smooth shirts, a meal that doesn't come in a box.  Things are not so straight forward with Pruin.  Thus far, my only reward is contented silence.

But with quilting there is a tangible reward.  I have yet to figure out how to grab moments of cutting and piecing.  I don't have a dedicated sewing area and Pruin goes from sleeping/content to desperately needing attention in seconds.  Leaving everything out on the dining room table for hours/days is not really an option currently.

For now I have to be content with unfolding and folding the fabric pieces in-between cries and diapers changes.  In a week I should have managed to cut some binding.  I suspect sewing it will take much longer.


No comments:

Post a Comment