December 19, 2012

Scrappy Squares

What to sew, what to sew?

To be honest, when we started this venture I didn't think beyond the t-shirt quilt.  I had been wanting to attempt it for so long and was so sure it would take me ages that I didn't think there was a need to think beyond the jersey adventure.

But then I was done.  What to do next?

I am planning a baby/cot quilt made out of Pete's old work shirts for our little one, but I'm not ready to attempt that just yet.  I want that one to follow a more traditional quilting pattern but, as the fabric might be a bit more dear or delicate, I'm not up for using it for experimentation.

Enter a remnant sale at my local fabric/upholstery shop.  Actually, it's more upholstery.  I came home with all kinds of remnants perfect for cushions or window treatments.

I specifically pulled a collection of very small remnants (actually the remains of a sample book) to experiment with some triangles.


Not the most alluring of colours or design.  After relieving each piece of its paper backing I started pairing them up purely on size.  Which squares were of similar size?  Then without much forethought, I ran the seams down the middle of the squares resulting in two squares made up of two triangles.


Well now what?

Because I didn't put a lot of pre-thought into the project I'm stuck trying to create some patterns out of a bit of colour chaos.  I'm thinking of making these into slipcovers for the pillows on our couch.  Pete won't be thrilled as he likes things simple but those cushions need a bit of liven up and I need to practice.  Of course this means I shall have to learn to sew either zippers or button holes.


Perhaps I could try to pass them off as seasonal decor.  If I arrange them just right perhaps I can create a 'Christmassy' look or 'spring renewal' pattern.


Let's not hold our breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment