November 19, 2012

Decorating a Sewing Room

Hi!  This is my last post from Maryland--next Monday, I'll be a resident of Charlotte, and will probably be up to my eyeballs in boxes!

We're moving from a one-bedroom apartment to a three-bedroom house, which is enough to make me squee just a little too loudly.  After two years in this rundown suburban box, we'll be able to stretch out a bit and actually have our own spaces!  We'll still be in the suburbs, because our offices are outside uptown Charlotte, but the neighborhood is quiet, there are cows across the street, and we'll be 15 minutes from Publix.  Frankly, that's enough for me.

After freaking out in my Round-Up Friday, I heard that afternoon that we did get the house we wanted, and we can move in next week!  Nick's dad is helping us move, and will be here the night of Thanksgiving to get this going.  Of course, I've been mentally decorating the whole house since we saw it.  I never really settled into our apartment in Maryland, with its mirrored walls and scratched floors.  We decided pretty early on that we didn't like it, but due to a small budget and inconvenient commutes, we couldn't leave.  I never hung up pictures or even put our name in the apartment mailbox.  We also don't know our neighbors, but I think that's a D.C. thing more than our issues.

This move to Charlotte has been long-coming and there's so much good coming with and from it that it's hard not to be overly excited and want to settle immediately.  I just want it to be my home!  We'd like to buy in a few years, but until then, we want to fully embrace this little split-floorplan home as our own.

So, naturally, you can see my brain planning the sewing room.  I already know the front guestroom, with the large window, will be my space for my sewing and office things.  It's not a huge room, but it's plenty big enough, especially considering my sewing room shares my dining room and my office is my bedroom in this apartment.  I'm so excited to have some room!

I've been scouring the internet (mostly Etsy and Ikea) to find some contenders.

Wall decor

Crafty Bird by Geninne, $30
I've loved this bird forever!  I originally wanted to buy it for my mom, but I think it'd look great above my machine.  Something to smile at while I'm ripping out stitches!

Geometric print, $19
Flying geese, HSTs--looks like a quilt to me!

Snow & Graham calendar, $29.95
I am a calendar freak.  I have another one picked out for the kitchen and I'm sure I'll need one for my new office at work!  This one is so girly I can get away with having it in my sewing room without hearing Nick complain.

Full Bobbin print, $20
I pinned this and Ariel immediately said, "Perfect for your sewing room."  Girl, I know!  I love the message and the design.  The colors lead me to...


Patty Sloniger's new line, Les Amis, has two colorways, and I think the "boy" colors would look great in a sewing room, showcased in embroidery hoops or stretched over canvas squares.  You can see the whole line here at Hawthorne Threads.  I'd also like to showcase some of my embroidery in hoops!

Furniture
Currently, I use the same desks from Ikea for my computer and my sewing machine.  The only difference is one has red legs and the other has white.  I plan on keeping them (unless I can find a cheap architect's desk...), because they're basic and still in good shape!

Ikea Ektorp Jennylund, $249
I would like to have a comfy chair to sit in the corner of the room!  This space will also have all my books/bookcases, so a little reading nook is ideal.  I also tend to hand-stitch, or hand-rip, and having somewhere to sit with natural light is essential.

Ikea Ektorp Bromma, $149
Ariel also saw this and knew exactly what I'd do with it: quilt storage!  The top on this ottoman lifts up for storage, which is absolutely necessary in a sewing space.  I could put extra fabric, finished quilts, or even books in there!  I'm a huge fan of ottomans and think they provide great seating and support.

Carson bookcase, $89.99
One great thing about this house is the closets are huge in every room, not just the master.  I'm going to use the closet for fabric storage, so I can close the door and keep fabrics from sunlight and fading!  This bookcase would fit in the closet and keep everything organized.

Miscellaneous
Emerson Shelby rug, $142.99
The rooms are carpeted, which isn't ideal, but it's a rental so I can't do anything about it!  I still think it'd be nice to have a fun area rug to ground the room--the blues and greens would coordinate with the wall decor, and the red and yellow would add some interest and versatility.

Bernina 830, $12,999
Ahh, nothing like a new sewing machine...wait, I don't have an extra $13,000 laying around?  Time to save up!

What do you think?  Am I missing anything essential?  I'm new to this sewing room business, so any suggestions are welcome!







No comments:

Post a Comment