August 17, 2012

Friday Round-up

Each Friday, one of us does a little round-up of stuff that has stuck in the brain this week.  Kind of like an ear-wig, but with stuff.  Ear-wigs are okay, too.  It's not always sewing related.



Last time I ended with the Olympic Opening Ceremony.  This time I am opening with the Paralympic Games.  I am overly excited for these to begin.  Much more so than I ever was with the Olympics.  I'm a little embarrassed at how the Paralympic Games are treated in London.  Royal Mail only recently reversed their decision to not issue stamps for each of the Paralympic Golds as they did for the Olympic Gold medalists.  Outdoor screens and festivals set up for the public to view the Olympic Games together are being dismantled.  The BBC which provided endless, commercial-free, coverage of the Olympic Games is not doing the same for the Paralympics.  However, Channel 4 is ROCKING the lead-up to the Paralympics.  In fact they have been doing so for months.

This advert makes me tear up every time
I am desperately trying to get tickets, but thus far have been unsuccessful.  I'm not a fan of sport generally, but I do love an underdog.  Not that these athletes are underdogs.  They are truly superhumans, but their Games is being treated a bit like an underdog.




photo by Valerie Berta Torales from her blog
On to another athletic underdog of sorts.  The American Circus.  This beautiful blog, The Mudshow Diaries, documents one woman's view of life on Kelly Miller Circus.  This is the circus I joined for a few months back in 2008.  It is a place I miss desperately at times.  Whatever you think you know about circuses, this blog will make you think again.  She is a beautiful photographer and thoughtful writer.  Of all the books and memoirs and exposes I have read about the circus over the course of my research (and trust me, it is A LOT) Valerie comes closest to portraying it as I experienced it.  Maybe because we both joined the circus instead of being born into and so can be enveloped by it as well as see it as somewhat exotic.  But what comes across quite clearly is the home the circus creates for itself and the pride it has in continuing this tradition against the odds.





In honour of Julia Child's 100th birthday this week, and because I gave you food last week, I am recommending this book.  Julie Powell's second book, Cleaving, made me want to slap her (although the butchering parts were interesting) but this one I really enjoy.  I know many people found the Julie of the movie insufferably annoying.  I didn't, but I can see how that would happen.  If you are one of those people, I doubly recommend this book.  The Julie of the book is much different and much more relateable.  Or at least that's my opinion.  The Julie of the book is also a Buffy fan.  A significant character trait left out of the movie.  




by Kate Imbach from her site Matchbook 
An now for a little fun.  Matchbook pairs book covers with swimsuits.  Or bathers as we have taken to call them, because we are apparently quickly becoming pensioners in our 30s.





That's it from me this week.  OH!! Except for this.


Wednesday's block was included in a quilting round-up #Quilt Art daily.  Many thanks to Indus Crafts.


Now that's it from me.  Really.  Have a great weekend.


1 comment:

  1. Matching up bathing suits with books is so cute!

    I loved Julie and Julia (the movie and the book) a few years ago, before I cooked every night. Now that I do, I read it last month and I was like, "Why is everything such a big deal to her?!" But I'm also not a Buffy fan so I found I couldn't relate to her anymore. However, Julia Child is my homegirl.

    ReplyDelete