February 11, 2013

Too Much Sugar, Not Enough Sewing

I have a confession to make: I am thoroughly unprepared to write this post.  I've eaten a lot of Cadbury Mini Eggs and I've had so little quilting-related projects going on lately--things I actually want to make, not things I have to make--that I feel lame even contributing to the flow this week.  It's not that I've been sitting around, thinking about everything but quilting; on the contrary, I've been working on a couple quilts this week.  But there's either been no progress to show or nothing new to showcase.  I'm almost done with my second Cluck Cluck Sew Inside Out quilt, this one commissioned by a former classmate of mine, but we've all seen it before!  Boring.

To be honest with you, quilting has been in the back of my mind, but still on my mind.  I've taken on yet another hobby, and it wouldn't be Emily to dabble, so I've thrown myself all-in to this one.  Gardening (the new hobby) is more time-dependent than quilting; I can piece a block at 2 AM or PM, in rain or snow or sun, but planting vegetables requires some planning and forethought and checking the forecast.  I've been preparing that lately and grinding through my other projects.

But this isn't a gardening blog, is it?  I'll save that for my personal blog, instead.  This is a quilting blog, so pull it together, Emily.  I almost flaked out and ran another book review but decided that was just too much boring for two weeks.  I'm still really excited to start sewing projects from Liberty Love, and even bought my first cut of Liberty--two yards of Wiltshire Berry in the darker colors--to celebrate my tax return.  However, because it'll go toward a garment, that's another story for my personal blog.

I never did talk about plans for 2013, and seeing as how it's now February, maybe I should go into that a bit?

  • I have three--three--quilt tops that need to be quilted.  That seems so wasteful, doesn't it?  I have a project plan in place for the year (exciting!) and they are all on it. 
  • I have one quilt top that is in progress.  I started it back in September, as something to do.  It's so boring to me now.  I'll probably finish it and tie it instead of machine-quilting, but not anytime soon.
  • The baby quilt list is down to two--Ariel and my manager.  I almost quilted Ariel's today--I can't wait for you to see it!  My manager isn't due until August, so she can wait a little longer.
  • I joined do.Good Stiches Bee, a charity quilting bee.  Our quilts support women and children in abusive relationships (currently living at a safe house), and I'm a quilter, so I need to design two quilts a year.  I'd like to call on more traditional blocks and found some on Pinterest I really liked:
Source

Source
Lord knows I love a good HST, and stars!  The blocks I have to sew for this month's quilt are paper-pieced letters, two things I've never done before.  I haven't started on them yet...but I will!  And perhaps you'll see them next week!

  • Nick mentions making a quilt for our bed every once in a while.  That's not happening.
In all, 2013 shouldn't be too busy, besides my do.Good blocks and baby quilts.  It's been a rough start because I haven't gotten to play around at all yet: everything I've made has been commissioned or done for someone or something else.  While I really love that, and I love giving people handmade gifts (if they appreciate them, that is), 2012 was all about sewing for me.  It's been a hard adjustment!

How have your sewing goals been so far?  Have you been able to accomplish anything?  Also, if you have any gardening tips for the southeast, I will take them, gladly!  Sorry I'm so lame this week!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Emily-This is Jenny from your Haven group. oh man i have sewing add lately! A quilt along, now the haven group blocks, a little girly bday gift, and of course, i started a new quilt... oh yeah, i have customers quilts i need to quilt... and i started seeds for the garden as well. there's always something!

    ReplyDelete