October 29, 2012

Pinwheels for Market

Hello again!  Here in D.C. we're awaiting hurricane (tropical storm?  Thunderstorm?) Sandy, which is either really over-hyped or scarily end-of-days.  I guess we'll see!  Either way, I'm stacking up some handwork to have in case we lose power.  As I told Nicholas, I want something to do that won't make me want to blow my brains out.  (Such a dainty lady, I am.  I just like modern conveniences!)

Anyway, I can finally show you the final project I made for Cloud9 Fabrics!  To display their upcoming line "In the Forest," Michelle and Gina asked me to make a simple 30"x40" quilt for the booth.  Michelle designed it with half-square triangles creating pinwheels.  I've had my eye on this line since they announced it, and I loved working with it!

Here are some pictures.  I hope to see it in some of the coverage of Market this weekend!

Helping me pin

Ready to sandwich


I finally got to put those new basting pins to good use.  I used a ton of them because I'm definitely not even an intermediate quilter.  Unfortunately, because the fabric was strike-offs, it wasn't self-healing like most quilting cottons.  I was worried about the pin marks!


Cloud9 asked for simple quilting, so I quilted a line 1/4" away from either side of each line, creating intersections at corners.  I still don't have a walking foot--I've priced them, but they're still a little out of reach--so the pins really helped keep everything straight!

Squaring up...with Puddin'
 Okay, so here's where you get bored.  There was really good light the morning I shipped it out, so I took a lot of pictures.  The funny thing is, at first glance of the fabrics, I thought, what sunny, summery colors!  Now that they've been on the ground with leaves, I'm thinking this line works well with fall too!







I really loved helping out Cloud9 this fall.  I hope they keep me in mind for spring!

In other news, I took a short trip this week, so my sewing time was cut short.  However, I did piece a mini quilt as a present for my mom.  I plan on hand-quilting this--Ariel, are you ready?


Again, I used the Modern Maples pattern from Pretty in Patchwork Holidays.  I can't recommend that book enough.  I chose some fall colors from my stash, but I'm undecided on how to back it.  Any ideas?

Close-ups of the fabrics:

Anna Maria Horner, "Fine Feathered" in Pomegranate, from Field Study

Denyse Schmidt, "Voltage Dot" in Black, from Chicopee

Denyse Schmidt, "Posie" in Gray, from Flea Market Fancy

Lizzy House, "Pearl Bracelet" in Chocolate, from Guising

What were you sewing this weekend?  Should I be more afraid of this storm?  At least it isn't hot this time around, so heat-induced mania will not be a problem if the power goes out.  Don't tell me you don't get cranky when it's hot!


No comments:

Post a Comment